In a cruel, paradoxical twist of fate, I've eaten so many memorable meals this year that I can't help but feel I'm forgetting several that deserve to top this list. Alas, such is the life of a food writer in a city as rich with options as New York. Many of the meals that have stuck with me are those I return to again and again; some because they're truly one of a kind, some for their unparalleled level of execution.
There are also few outstanding meals out there that I couldn't include for want of a photo. I was lucky enough to enjoy a full tasting menu at the deservedly three Michelin-starred Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare that, for seafood lovers able to take the $255 plunge, certainly lives up to the hype. And just last night, I had a killer bowl of deep-fried, Funyun-topped Brussels sprouts at Degustation that had me lamenting my dead phone and absentee camera. But if I can't be perfect, at least these upcoming dishes can! Jump to one in the list below or see them all in the slideshow »
- The Roast Chicken from The NoMad
- Pabéllon Arepa from Guacuco
- Crispy Sliced Fish with Chili Pepper and Cumin from Fu Run
- Braised Goat from Roberta's
- Bacon-Infused Burger from Café Ghia
- Oysters from Maison Premiere
- The Cherry Jones Pizza from Paulie Gee's
- Garlic Knots from Rizzo's
- Ramen from Ippudo
- Cinnamon Roll from River Styx
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.