Tips and tricks for making the best sandwiches at home.
A little kick can turn an alright sandwich into a great one. Be it a swipe of harissa, a topping of pickled peppers, or a dose of chilies cooked down with meat or cheese, spice adds balance and highlights that may otherwise be missing.
When we think about spiced-up sandwiches, we're not looking for those that blow our faces off with heat. Rather, we're after subtle and smart uses of chilies and hot spices that tickle our tongues and send us back for our bite.
Okay, and sometimes we want to blow our faces off, too.
So here are our picks for 19 sandwiches that bring a little heat along for the ride. See them all in the slideshow above or jump straight to what looks tastiest below.
- ProZack at Shopsins ($17)
- Chile Relleno Torta at Tacos Morelos ($5)
- Harissa Honey Roasted Chicken at The Smile ($11.50)
- Okra Roll at Thelewala ($5)
- Spicy Buradi Kati Roll at Biryani Cart ($3)
- Spicy Chopped Cheese at Uni One Gourmet Deli ($4)
- Pambazo Torta at El Mariachi ($8)
- Lam'bretta at Xe Máy Sandwich Shop ($6.50)
- Lamb Bhuna Kati at Desi Galli ($5.99)
- Spicy Rizzak at Tiny's Giant Sandwich Shop ($8.25)
- Spicy Sausage Laffa at Olympic Pita ($11.95)
- 109 Spicy Special at West 109 Gourmet Deli ($4)
- Paneer Tikka Sandwich at Usha Foods & Sweets ($5)
- Roast Pork Club at Dominique Ansel Bakery ($12)
- Gouda Grilled Cheese at Queens Kickshaw ($10)
- Lamb Burger at Xi'an Famous Foods ($3)
- Cemita from Estrellita Poblana III ($6.50)
- Spicy Sabih at Bite Soho ($7)
- Spicy Falafel at Taim ($6.25)