We tend to eat breakfast less often than we should at Serious Eats, a shame we kept reflecting on as we gathered our favorite breakfasts in the city. In the end our choices come down to the essentials: bagels, pastries, egg and cheese sandwiches, and other basics (okay, with some wild cards too) that define breakfast in this city.
As with all our Staff Picks, our choices reflect individual staffers' favorites, not our definitive assessment of the very best New York. See them all in the slideshow above or jump straight to a slide below. Then tell us: what's your favorite breakfast in New York?
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt: Bagels at Absolute
- Robyn Lee: Shopsins
- Ed Levine: Fairway Cafe
- Ben Fishner: Salami, Egg, and Cheese at Classic Coffee Shop
- Maggie Hoffman: Russ & Daughters
- Paul Cline: Bagel Hole
- Max Falkowitz: Doughnuts at Peter Pan
- Carrie Vasios: Muesli and Toast at Milk Bar
- Tracie Lee: Balthazar
- Jamie Feldmar: Chilaquiles at Cholulita Deli
- Leandra Palermo: Gramercy Terrace
- Niki Achitoff-Gray: Braised Goat at Roberta's
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.