Last night at the Institute of Culinary Education, Dessert Professional honored the Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America. Past winners include many of NYC's best known pastry chefs including Christina Tosi (2012), Dominique Ansel (2009), and Johnny Iuzzini (2004). Dessert Professional also presented Cupcake Wars host and co-owner of Mad Mac Macarons, Florian Belanger, with the Hall Of Fame award.
In addition to being honored, all the chefs are asked to prepare 200+ servings of a special plated dessert. Needless to say, this always drives a little friendly competition among the honorees—each one trying to deliver the most spectacular plate with the most components or showiest presentation. As you'll see from the slideshow above, the chefs did not disappoint.
As in past years, New York City featured the most awardees but chefs also came from Las Vegas, San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, and Joliet (IL).
Michael Laiskonis, Creative Director for ICE was on hand and noted "the list always includes a broad scope of styles and approaches to pastry. The magazine [Dessert Professional] always seems to pluck just the right people every year."
The Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America, 2013
- Andy Chlebana, Joliet Junior College, Joliet, IL
- Bill Corbett, Absinthe, San Francisco, CA
- Christophe Feyt, Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, NV
- Brooks Headley, Del Posto, NYC
- Malcolm Livingston II, wd-50, NYC
- Jimmy MacMillan, JMPurePastry, Chicago, IL
- Laurie Jon Moran , Le Bernardin, NYC
- Clarisa Martino, Mesa Grill, NYC, Las Vegas, Nassau
- Nancy Olson, Gramercy Tavern, NYC
- Roy Shvartzapel, Common Bond, Houston, TX
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.