You know a restaurant opening is an important one when, a few months later, you can't imagine New York without it. 2012, despite plenty of closures even before a catastrophic storm that crippled, closed, or delayed so many restaurants, was a fantastic year for eating in the city. Here are my favorites of the year: not just full-service restaurants, but the odd bakery, cocktail bar, and Mediterranean lunch joint thrown in for good measure.
- Best Comeback: M. Wells Dinette
- Best Restyled Menu: Maison Premiere
- Best New Pizzeria: Don Antonio
- Favorite Little Brooklyn Restaurant: Lulu & Po
- Most Anticipated Comeback: Governor
- Best New Cocktail Bar: Pouring Ribbons
- Best New Bakery: Maison Kayser
- Favorite New Union Square Lunch Spot: Taboonette
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.