It's been a great year for sandwiches in this city. We found new loves in pastrami and patty melts. We celebrated grilled cheese in all its oozy forms. We even hacked a few sandwiches of our own.
But when you're eating a sandwich every day (and hey, we only report on one sandwich a day—we're eating more), you get to thinking, what makes a sandwich really, really special?
That's too involved of a question to answer here, but here's a partial response: 30 sandwiches that made our year. If you're thinking about your new years resolutions for 2013, consider this a to-do list.
What was your favorite sandwich this year? See all ours in the slideshow, or jump straight to a post below.
- Pastrami on Rye at David's Brisket House
- Slow Roasted Pork at Rucola
- Los Muchachos at Caracas Arepa Bar
- Slow Roasted Short Rib Panino at Il Buco Alimentari & Vineria
- Cheese Patacon at Patacon Pisao
- Porchetta Panino from Emporio
- Torta Pumas at Tortas Neza
- Pancake with Egg at Henan Flavor
- Okra Roll at Thelewala
- Shakshuka at Taboonette
- Soft Shell Crab Banh Mi Sandwich Hack
- The Dominique Kouign Amann and Osteria Morini Ice Cream Sandwich Hack
- Mr. Victor at Court Street Grocers
- Broccoli Rabe and Mozzarella Hero at Buon Appetite
- Rubirosa Sandwich at Rubirosa
- Cevapi at Ukus
- Tuesday Night Patty Melt at Parm
- Classic Melt at Murray's Cheese Bar
- Bresaola at Barbarini Alimentari
- Little Italy Lard Bread-Mozzarella Sandwich Hack
- Man, That's Good at Murray's Cheese Shop
- Open Face Beef Cheek Sandwich at Perla
- The Lamb 'Hot Pocket' at Certé
- Smoked Salmon Tartine at Maison Kayser
- Chicken Shawarma at Duzan
- The Thanksgiving Special Hero at Parm
- Sabih Croissant at Zizi Limona
- House Pastrami Special at M & O Market Deli
- Macho Man or Woman at Court Street Grocers
- Grilled Cheese at Dominique Ansel Bakery
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.