The day we've been waiting for—the Serious Eats All-Star Sandwich Festival—finally approaches. Tomorrow, July 23, we'll be out on Governors Island eating fine, fine sandwiches from some of New York's best chefs; washing it down with an awesome selection of beer and wine; and, most importantly, meeting all of you fine folks.
In fact, just about the whole crew at Serious Eats Headquarters will be down at the 'Fest—J. Kenji Lopez-Alt will be flipping burgers, Robyn will have her camera around her neck, and Erin Zimmer will be shaking hands and kissing babies. Slice editor Meredith Smith is hopping a bus down from Boston for the day, and Community Manager Carrie V. will be around managing, well, community. We've got Drinks queen Maggie Hoffman pouring wine, our beer columnist Jonathan Moxey heading up the beer, and resident funnymen Will Gordon and John M. Edwards manning the bar with him. (Is that a bad idea? We're not sure.) They'll be joined by many of our writers, friends, and community members. It's like a one-day Serious Eats summer camp.
Look for me there—I'll be the guy with a piece of Sullivan Street Bakery's tomato strecci in my hand and a big smile on my face. I can't wait to share some sandwiches and chew the fat with all of you.
Just a few last minute things to remember:
- We're on rain or shine! We'll have covered areas for guests and we'll have fun no matter what happens.
- It's gonna be hot! We'll have plenty of bottled water on hand, but dress for the heat. Don't forget your sunblock, sunglasses, and hats! Some people are bringing umbrellas to give themselves shade while waiting in line.
- In addition to a completely insane beer line-up curated by Serious Eats drinks maven Maggie Hoffman, we have Fizzy Lizzy, Red Jacket Orchards juice, Counter Culture coffee and water. There is an underground movement planning drink mash-ups with Big Gay Ice Cream Truck. Consider yourself warned.
- Shaded seating areas will be provided, but we recommend bringing along a picnic blanket if you'd like to hang out under the shade of the trees.
- No pets allowed, unless they are certified service animals. And unfortunately, that means little Hambone won't be around to offer pawtographs.
- Phone service can be sketchy on the island, so don't schedule any important calls, and make sure you make plans to meet up with your friends before you get to the island.
- For directions and ferry schedule to Governors Island, please check here. The first ferry to the island departs Manhattan at 10 a.m., followed by another at 11, and every half hour after that. The first one from Brooklyn departs at 11 a.m. Registration for the Sandwich Festival begins at 11:30 a.m., and the doors open at noon. Bring a photo ID! You'll need it to get in. We suggest getting there early, as we have no control over the ferry schedule. People who hop the 10 o'clock boat will get a chance to stroll around the island before the crowds arrive, and you'll also be the first in line when the doors open.
- MTA service changes: You can check them here.
- Music: The talented Drew Citron will provide musical entertainment.
- We'll also be hosting a pop-up bookstore featuring a library entirely composed of Serious Eats contributors' and Sandwich Festival participants' work.
One last note: the event is completely, 100% sold out, thanks to the tireless effort of the whole Serious Eats crew. So please, make sure you've got a ticket already if you plan on coming. As much as we'd love to, we can't take any walk-ins!
See you at the fest!
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.