If you thought the first floor of the Golden Shopping Mall was cramped, try heading downstairs.
Trying to eat the entirety of Flushing's Golden Shopping Mall's basement is like descending into madness. There are just so many choices—diced rabbit seeped in red oil and dusted in white sesame, the springy bite of Lanzhou hand-pulled noodles, chewy-skinned dumplings and thick bones full of bone marrow to slurp.
This is Flushing at its cramped best, with more noodles than you could shake a pair of disposable chopsticks at.
Maps, menus, and more, after the jump.
What to give a try here? Of course, there are the classics like Xi'an Famous Foods' cold skin noodles, with their addictive sauce and springy texture.
I enjoyed the spicy, fragrant offerings of Chengdu Heavenly Plenty and will gladly return to try other Sichuanese classics like dan dan noodles or boiled fish slices in fiery oil. But one of my favorite finds had to be the bone-gnawing comfort of pork bone soup Zhu's Snacks, where you get to suck marrow straight from the source with a plastic straw.
And see if you can wrangle the waitress at Mom's Hot and Numbing Heat into letting you order an "extra spicy" bowl of their hot and numbing soup. But don't blame me if you go lunging for the drink cooler.
I'm here to bear good news: most places, even if the staff doesn't speak English, will have an English menu. There are, however, a few notable exceptions. For these, I've translated menus. It can also be hard to navigate, so I've included an interactive, clickable map (also available as a PDF download) and menu images if you don't have Chinese installed.
Explore Golden Shopping Mall basement spots
- Henan and Taipei Deliciousness
- Old North's Fresh and Fragrant Fried Kebabs + translated menu for mobile phones
- Lucky Wenzhou Snacks + translated menu for mobile phones
- Zhu's Snacks
- Mom's Hot and Numbing Heat + translated menu for mobile phones
- Chengdu Heavenly Plenty Snacks
- Guizhou Beef and Lamb Rice Noodle Restaurant
- Xi'an Famous Foods
- Xie's Family Dishes
- Lanzhou Handmade Noodles
- North-South Dumplings
Or head upstairs and explore the first floor
- First floor map
- Golden Vietnam Bakery
- Jack Yan's / Shandong Dumpling
- Old Wang Ji + translated menu for mobile phones
- Wang-Zheng's Halal Snacks + translated menu for mobile phones
- Nutritious Lamb Noodles + translated menu for mobile phones
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.