What's it like for a flexitarian eater to go vegan for a month? Sometimes rather complicated. "Does this contain eggs or butter?" is a question I found myself asking all the time. Many of my usual go-to dishes were suddenly off-limits. Adios eggy breakfasts. Toodle-oo, yogurt. Quite a bit of Asian food, even the vegetable sides, weren't allowed either, because of the fish sauce and pork fat laced in there.
I was only vegan for a month. February—the shortest month of the year—at that. Not long enough to comprehensively explore the many vegan options in this city, but long enough to befriend some new favorites that I otherwise might have scanned past on a menu before.
My goal was to find dishes that weren't just the predictable faux meats or cheeseless pastas. There are plenty of more exciting, satisfying, not-just-beige-hued vegan foods out there if you know where to look.
Here are 15 highlights from my monthlong vegan adventure in the slideshow above and listed below.
- The Veg Out Toast at 61 Local
- Mushroom and Farro from ABC Kitchen
- Vegan Secret Supper Club with Chef Mérida Anderson
- Vegetarian Ramen at Chuko
- Kale Salad at Chuko
- Falafel and Soup from Taim
- Sri Lankan Food at Lakruwana
- Tasting Menu at Kajitsu
- Veggie Combo from Awash
- Vegan Mapo Tofu at Mission Chinese
- Soy Hound Milk and OMilk
- The Toppings Bar at Maoz
- Mongolian Hot Pot at Hangawi
- Chang-an Spicy Tofu at Xi'an Famous Foods
- Funyuns from The Squeeze