We've been talking and reading about the imminent closing of Hinsch's, the Bay Ridge institution—and reading our share of odes to the place. Which got us thinking about our own beloved New York icons: which ones can we just not live without? And if they were to close, would New York still be our New York?
Here are our picks for the food institutions that help define our New York. What are yours?
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt: Gray's Papaya
- Erin Zimmer: Russ & Daughters
- Robyn Lee & Jen Weinberg: Katz's
- Carey Jones: Egg, Bacon, and Cheese on a Bagel
- Max Falkowitz: Knish Nosh
- Ben Fishner: Fairway
- Leandra Palermo: Bleecker Street Pizza and Joe's
- Jessica Leibowitz: Peter Pan