A Hamburger Today
Mexican Eats: 10 Best New York Mexican Dishes of 2012
For every skeptic proclaiming the deficiencies in our city's Mexican food offerings, there's a champurrado cart doling out early-morning cups of warmth, a pot of birria to soothe ennui, and a cook tending to salsa, to match. If you doubt the credibility, well, then you're just not looking hard enough.
It's been a great year for Mexican food, and as the community develops, second and third generations settle, and more chefs become inspired by the diversity of the cuisine, it can only get better. Here are some of the best dishes of the year, ten that would make even the most fervent disbeliever reconsider.
- Salsa Mora at Tacos Morelos
- Gorditas at New Mex Deli
- Tacos de Suadero from Taqueria Izucar
- Torta de Tamale at Alimentos Saludables
- Sabor a Mexico's Pozole Verde
- Beet Margarita at Gran Electrica
- Al Pastor Tacos at Taco Mix
- Enchiladas Dona Blanca at Casa Enrique
- Torta Pumas at Tortas Neza
- Chile Relleno at Tulcingo del Valle
About the author: Scarlett Lindeman wears many hats: a food-writer, recipe editor of Diner Journal, a food/arts quarterly, and a doctoral student of sociology. E-mail her at email@example.com.