Our lives changed the day we decided to stick some gelato into a kouign amann. The ultra buttery croissant-like pastry from Dominique Ansel had never met the gelato from Osteria Morini before, but they really hit it off. Eyes-closed-whoa-this-is-good hit it off.
Dominique and Morini are conveniently just a five-minute walk apart, so anyone strolling around Soho can also hack this ice cream sandwich. "Sandwich" is a loosely used term here. Who says an ice cream sandwich must be limited to cookie plus ice cream?
This was just the beginning. Max, Sam, and I started brainstorming other sweet mashups where a scoop of ice cream (or gelato or even soft serve) could be inserted into a giant cookie (or pretzel croissant or brownie). Because why not.
Such hacking requires a short walk and a plastic knife for slicing the "sandwich" part, and a stack of napkins.
- Soho: Dominique Ansel + Osteria Morini = French Pastry Meets Italian Gelato
- Upper West Side: Levain + Grom = The Levain Cookie Monster
- Momofuku: Cereal Milk Soft Serve + Compost Cookie = The Milk Bar Taco
- Chelsea Market: Fat Witch Bakery + Ronnybrook Milk Bar = The Fat Ronny
- Prospect Heights: Beny's Delice + Ample Hills Creamery = PB & Bananatella
- Tribeca: Birdbath Bakery + Van Leeuwen = The Pretzel Croissantwich
Ever hack an ice cream sandwich? Got a combination we should try? Let us know.