Our search for great Tres Leches cakes continues with a stop at Mayahuel, where an order runs $8. This cake isn't your ordinary slice, but an individual round topped off in a mound of coconut meringue, the highlight of the dessert. Strawberries and toasted coconut flakes are scattered on the side. As for the cake itself? It's a bit wetter than I'd like, miles away from the sloppy sweet messes oft encountered in this city. Better than most, but not the best.
Note—for those not interested in staying for a cocktail to go with dessert, Mayaheul also sells the cake to-go. Next up? A visit to Carteles!
- Tres Leches Cake at La Lucha »
- Sugar Rush: Churros at Mayahuel »
- Mix It Up: 'The Division Bell' from Mayahuel »
- Tres Leches Cake Doughnut from the Doughnut Plant »
- Carteles Cuban Sandwiches »