To celebrate Cinco De Mayo, executive Chef Ivy Stark of Dos Caminos showed us how to make guacamole. She recommends using the freshest possible ingredients and advises that California Haas avocados make the best guacamole, because they have a buttery texture and denser form.
Recipe after the jump; step-by-step instructions in the slideshow above.
2 Tablespoons finely chopped Cilantro leaves
2 Teaspoon finely chopped white onion
2 Teaspoons minced Jalapeno or Serrano (or a mix)
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher salt
2 Large avocados, peeled and seeded. Stark recommends California Haas avocados.
2 Tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato (cored and seeded)
2 Teaspoons fresh lime juice.
1. Add 1 tablespoon of cilantro, 1 teaspoon each of onion and the minced chili, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a medium bowl or a mortar. Mash together with spoon or pestle until a paste is formed.
2. Dice avocado and gently fold into the paste, leaving some chunks.
3. Add the remaining cilantro, onions, and chilies, and continue to mix.
4. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top. Gently fold in tomato.
5. Serve with tortilla chips.