In 2005, renowned pastry chef Pierre Hermé and other members of the prestigious Association Relais Desserts started Jour du Macaron (Macaron Day), a yearly holiday on March 20 where bakeries would give away free macarons and raise money for Federation des Maladies Orphelines.
For the first time, macaron lovers in New York City can celebrate too. This Saturday, March 20, marks the first annual Macaron Day NYC during which 13 shops (17 if you count multiple locations) are offering a free macaron per customer (tell the shop that you're there for Macaron Day), and a portion of the day's macarons sales will be donated to City Harvest. For more information, visit macarondaynyc.com.
I made a map of all the locations, along with a suggested public transportation route in case you want to visit all the shops in one day.
View Macaron Day 2010 in a larger map
I initially planned this route under the most optimal conditions—that is, not incorporating MTA service advisories. But if you've ever taken the subway on a weekend, you'll know that there are tons of changes, and this Saturday is no different. I noted some of those advisories in the route, but you should double check on Saturday. Note that leisurely walks could take the place of some of these subway rides, so take advantage of the good weather (while burning some calories)!
- Start: Almondine in Dumbo
- from York St to Essex St-Delancey → DessertTruck Works
- from Essex St-Delancey to 34th St-Herald Square [MTA Service Change], switch to downtown train to 23rd St → LA Burdick
- Walk → Madeleine Patisserie
- from 23rd St to 34th St-Penn Station → Macaron Cafe
- from 34th St-Herald Square to 59th St-Columbus Circle → Bouchon
- from 59th St-Columbus Circle to Times Square [MTA Service Change], switch to uptown train to 103rd St → Silver Moon
- from 103rd St to 86th St → Georgia's Cafe and Bakery
- Walk to 81st St/Amsterdam, take M79 to 79th St/Madison Ave → La Maison du Chocolat
- Walk → Butterfield Market
- at 77th St to 66th St → FC Chocolate Bar
- Walk → Mad Mac (Bernardaud)
- from Lexington Ave-59th St to 65th St, walk → Cannelle
Almondine Bakery 85 Water Street, Dumbo 718-797-5026 442 9th Street, Park Slope 718-832-4607
Bouchon Bakery 10 Columbus Circle, 3rd Floor 212-823-9364
Butterfield Market 1114 Lexington Avenue 212-288-7800
Cannelle Patisserie 75-59 31st Avenue, East Elmhurst 718-565-6200
DessertTruck Works 6 Clinton Street
FC Chocolate Bar 714 Madison Avenue, 4th floor 212-759-1600
Georgia's Cafe & Bakery 2418 Broadway 212-362-2000
L.A. Burdick Chocolate 5 East 20th Street 212-796-0143
La Maison du Chocolat 1018 Madison Avenue 63 Wall Street 30 Rockefeller Center Empire State Center Lobby 212-744-7117
Macaron Café 161 West 36th Street 212-564-3525
Madeleine Patisserie 132 West 23rd Street 212-243-2757
Silver Moon Bakery 2740 Broadway 212-866-4717