The Il Buco Pig Roast Is This Sunday, September 20
At Serious Eats, we tend to be favorably disposed towards pig roasts in general—and Il Buco's in particular—so you can be sure that we will be attending their sixth annual Sagra del Maiale, an outdoor pig roast this Sunday, September 20th, from 1:00-8:00pm.
If you're interested in the ins and outs of roasting a 200 pound heritage breed Crossabaw Pig go early, way early: Il Buco chef Ignacio Mattos and his crew start building a bonfire before sunrise. Mattos is a serious pig roaster and a talented chef, so you can be sure the pig is going to be seriously delicious. Warning: this tends to be a haphazardly organized affair, so be prepared to wait in a slow-moving line for awhile before you get to dig into your $20 plate of pig (in many forms) and those killer apple ricotta fritters. The fact that this event is on a Sunday this year should make the waiting more tolerable. Here's the menu (which has basically remained the same for the last couple of years):
- Whole Slow-Roasted Eco-Friendly Foods Crossabaw Heritage Pig
- Flying Pigs Farm Porchetta Panini on Ciabatta with Blueberry Balsamic Mostarda
- House-made Flying Pigs Farm Pig, Apple and Peperoncino Sausage
- Farmer's Market Panzanella
- Wild Arugula with Lemon, Red Onion and Pecorino
- Apple Ricotta Fritters with Saba
- House-made Lemonade and Iced Tea
Tickets are available on-site for $20 per plate (includes all items above.) Also serving wine for $10 a glass and beer for $8 a bottle. Cash only.