Brooklyn resident Andrei Melnikov has arguably the coolest (and freakiest) application on his Sony Erickson PDA. When he receives an incoming call in his kitchen, his Maytag Magic Chef oven lights up and starts broiling. Melnikov noticed the oddness last week when his cell phone, sitting within two feet of the oven, rang and the oven started beeping. It's kind of like The Clapper gizmo but perhaps more life-threatening. Melnikov and has wife have had trouble sleeping ever since a phone call accidentally ignited a mini fire. Danger aside, it would be pretty cool to ask a friend to dial you up when you needed to bake a pie. Watch a CBS news special on the oven-activating phone after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Transform Your Leftover Turkey Into Crispy, Juicy Carnitas
- How Thanksgiving Killed My Restaurant Career
- Leftovers Are the Best Part: 20 Recipes for the Day After Thanksgiving
- Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past: Our Highest Highs and Lowest Lows
- Stuffing on the Side: How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing