From the New York Daily News: Jeffrey Ruhalter, owner of Jeffrey's Meat Market in the Essex Street Market, will host recession dinners for $10, which includes a meal of: New York strip steak, grilled vegetables, gourmet cheese, and cupcakes. People interested should bring an unemployment check or documentation showing their homes are facing foreclosure to Ruhalter's shop, and 115 couples will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis. One half will dine at Essex Restaurant on March 31, and the other half at THOR in the Rivington Hotel on April 1.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 2): 25 Delicious Side Dishes for Labor Day
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.