From the New York Daily News: Jeffrey Ruhalter, owner of Jeffrey's Meat Market in the Essex Street Market, will host recession dinners for $10, which includes a meal of: New York strip steak, grilled vegetables, gourmet cheese, and cupcakes. People interested should bring an unemployment check or documentation showing their homes are facing foreclosure to Ruhalter's shop, and 115 couples will be chosen on a first-come, first-serve basis. One half will dine at Essex Restaurant on March 31, and the other half at THOR in the Rivington Hotel on April 1.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Transform Your Leftover Turkey Into Crispy, Juicy Carnitas
- Leftovers Are the Best Part: 20 Recipes for the Day After Thanksgiving
- Stuffing on the Side: How to Make Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past: Our Highest Highs and Lowest Lows
- The Food Lab's Step-by-Step Guide to Smoking a Turkey