Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg's proposed 5-cent plastic bag tax won't just apply to bodegas and supermarket shopping. “It’s going to be your candy shop, your Macy’s," said Jason Post, a spokesman for the mayor, according to the New York Times. The projected revenue for this “user fee” is $84 million. Enough to make you carry your own bags at all times?
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- It's Always Morning Somewhere: My Favorite Breakfasts Around the World
- The Easy Way to Make Fresh Corn Tortillas at Home
- The Food Lab's American Omelettes (and Why You Should Salt Your Eggs in Advance)
- The Foolproof Steps to Making a Perfect French Omelette at Home
- How to Master Flavorful Chiles Rellenos