Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg's proposed 5-cent plastic bag tax won't just apply to bodegas and supermarket shopping. “It’s going to be your candy shop, your Macy’s," said Jason Post, a spokesman for the mayor, according to the New York Times. The projected revenue for this “user fee” is $84 million. Enough to make you carry your own bags at all times?
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Trial by Fire: My Life With the Culinary Director of Serious Eats
- Cookbook Love Letter: Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Special-Occasion Breakfast: Challah French Toast With Orange and Rum