The New York Times sent a lucky reporter on Calvin Trillin's eating tour yesterday. My favorite quote from Trillin, who leads the tour as part of the New Yorker Festival: "I'm not interested in finding the best chili restaurant in Cincinnati. I'm interested in Cincinnatians fighting about who has the best chili."
What are the stops on the tour? Some are secret, but others are not:
- A slice of potato pizza from Grandaisy Bakery
- Sandwiches from the "greens lady" on East Broadway and Chrystie Street
- Roast pork banh mi from Banh Mi Saigon Bakery
- Spanish nibbles from Despana on Broome Street (I love the tortilla cake there)
- Sopressata from Faicco's on Bleecker Street
The story did not reveal which dim sum parlor under the Manhattan bridge they stopped in for lunch. Any guesses, serious eaters?